Saturday 1 August 2015

My wife didn’t like our son’s music career –Femi Falana


Music sensation, Falz, is enjoying every moment in the spotlight but before he got there, he had to cross some hurdles at home. Saturday Beats learnt that although his father, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, did not have any problem with his decision, his mother, Funmi who is also a lawyer had her reservation.

Falana said that his wife initially struggled to accept the career choices of their children who chose to practise other professions aside from law.

Falana, who was a guest speaker at a valedictory service and prize giving day ceremony of Crown Heights College, Ibadan, recently, shared his personal experience with parents at the event, urging them not to force any profession on their children.

He said, “Don’t force any course on your children; don’t insist that they must be a doctor or a lawyer. My son Folarin, who was working in our chambers, came to inform me one day that he wanted to leave. I said I could find him a place in one of my friends’ chambers. But he said no, ‘I’m going to be a musician’. When I asked why, he convinced me but he couldn’t convince his mother because she’s also a lawyer. Today, he’s doing well as a musician and not as a lawyer. So let’s debate with our children to know what they want to do.”

Falana also shared the story of the late Nigerian music legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, who chose to study music against his parents’ wish for him to become a medical doctor.

He urged the graduating students of the school to be focus and their parents to “develop interests in the affairs of their children.”

SOURCE: PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment