Monday 27 April 2015

Social media acronyms you should know

The social media keep evolving and in an attempt to keep up with the pace of communication, a new slang is introduced on a regular basis. It is possible to look through a teenager’s phone and examine his or her chat without having a full understanding of what is being communicated.

The most popular acronym is LOL, which means ‘laughing out loud’. It is sometimes even a default response during a chat when the other party is not sure of what to say.

Social media and instant messaging are about speed and timing. The instantaneous nature is what continues to keep pressure on users to compress phrases and words into shorter codes. It is also a way to put the older generation ― should they decide to snoop around ― in the dark.

The challenge, however, is how these abbreviations are beginning to interfere with with formal communication. With the habit formed over a period, it does not take long to imagine that all other chats and communications are also informal.

Here is a list of acronyms compiled to help any social media newbie unpack and understand the language of the social media environment.

#FBF: Flash-back Friday

#FF: Follow Friday

#TBT: Throw-back Thursday

(L)MIRL: Let’s meet in real life

53X: Sex

AFAIK: As far as I know

AMA: Ask me anything

AWOL: Away while online

BD: Big deal

BF: BoyfriendBFF: Best friend foreverBFN: Bye for nowBRB: Be right backBTW: By the wayCC: Carbon copyCD9 -Parents around/code 9CU: See youCX: CorrectionCYL: Catch you laterDM: Direct messageFB: FacebookFOMO: Fear of missing outFTFY: Fixed this for youFWIW: For what it’s worthFYE: For your entertainmentFYI: For your informationGF: GirlfriendGTG: Got to goGTI: Going through itHBD: Happy birthdayHML: Happy married lifeHMU: Hit me upHT or H/T: Hat tip (away of crediting or attributing something you’re posting to someone else)HTH: Happy to helpIC: I seeICYMI: In case you missed itICYWW: In case you were wonderingIDC: I don’t careIDK: I don’t knowTBH: To be honestIDK: I don’t knowIG or Insta: InstagramIIRC: If I remember correctlyILY: I love youIM: Instant messageIMHO: In my honest opinionIMO: In my opinionIRL: In real lifeJellz: JealousJK: Just kiddingJSYK: Just so you knowKK: Cool, okay (kewl kewl)KMP: Keep me postedKOTL- Kiss on the lipsKYP: Keep you postedL8- LateLI- LinkedInLMAO: Laughing my a** offLMK- Let me knowLMS: Like my statusMT – Modified tweetMYOB: Mind your own businessNBC: Nobody cares thoughNBD: No big dealNM: Not muchNTS: Note to selfNTW: Not to worryQOTD: Quote of the dayNVM: Never mindObv or Obvi: ObviouslyOH: OverheardOMG: Oh my godOMW: On my wayORLY- Oh really?!!PDA: Public display of affectionPIR: Parent in roomPITA: Pain in the AssPls or Plz: PleasePOIDH: Pictures or it didn’t happenPOS: Parent over shoulderPOTD: Photo of the dayPPL: PeoplePRT: Partial retweetPSA: Public service announcementQ or QQ: Question or quick questionRLY: ReallyRN: Right nowROFL: Rolling on the Floor LaughingROFLMAO: Rolling on the floor laughing my a** offRT- RetweetSMFH: Shaking my f***ing headSMH: Shaking my headSO or S/O: Shout outSRLSY: SeriouslySTFU: Shut the f— upSYS: See you soonTBH: To be honestTBT: Throwback ThursdayTGIF: Thank God it’s FridayThx or Tx: ThanksTL;DR: Too long; didn’t readTMI: Too much informationTTYL: Talk to you laterTTYS: Talk to you soonTTYN: Talk to you neverTWD- Texting while drivingTxt: TextTY: Thank youTYT: Take your timeTYVM: Thank you very muchWTTP – Want to trade pictures?YGTR: You got that rightYOLO: You only live onceYT- YouTubeYW: You’re welcome

This list is in no way exhaustive. Emoticons (emotion icons) are also fast replacing some of these acronyms. Since society is not static, the expectation is that some of these abbreviations will fade away and new ones will replace them. What will certainly not fade away is the urge and need to communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment